CREEPINESS OF CHILDHOOD

As a child, I am not exposed with much nursery rhymes. I could not even say that I have memorized one before. Because I never did. However, as I grow up I became fond of everything to do with children especially songs, rhymes and folktales. 

Now, I would like to post series of things concerning children stuff. The first one would be of the Creepiness of Childhood. I chose this because I am quite scared or afraid of the things being mentioned or left unsaid in poems and rhymes for children. Now, the CREEPINESS OF CHILDHOOD shall begin.



Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep



Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep,

If I shall die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take. Amen.

(I would not suggest for a young child to pray this because this is quite creepy. I would like to pray to thank GOD first before I ever say these things.)




Jack and Jill


Jack and Jill went up the hill

To fetch a pail of water.

Jack fell down and broke his crown,
And Jill came tumbling after.

(A crown is also considered to be a connotation for a head. Therefore, Jack broke his head and Jill followed suit. )


Rock-a-Bye-Baby



Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetop
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock.

When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall

And down will come baby, cradle and all.


(I don't like the idea of the baby falling)


From Tom Tit’s Song Book, 1790
 I  married a wife on Sunday,
She began to scold on Monday,
Bad was she on Tuesday,
Middling was she on Wednesday,
Worse she was on Thursday,
Dead was she on Friday,
Glad was I on Saturday night,
To bury my wife on Sunday.
(Quite a happy marriage, indeed.)

TO BE CONTINUED . . .


Comments

Most Read

Finally Found IT!

DSS WEEK 2013: PAKARITAY

A Bit of Art : LARA